Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

CHARMING NOISE | DEERHUNTER CONUNDRUM


I don't know how I feel about this. Don't get me wrong, I love Deerhunter. I've listened to "Desire Lines" at least a billion times (that's a modest estimate). I consider Bradford Cox to be one of the raddest people on the planet, despite his penchant for playing hour-long renditions of "My Sharona." I can forgive him for that. But this new direction that the band has decided to take musically is going to take some time to sink in. First of all, Bradford now looks like Faris Badwan. Sure, I can still hear some resemblance to the Deerhunter of yonder, but my favorite thing about the past two Deerhunter albums is the fuzzed out dreaminess of it all. Part of me feels like Cox is trying too hard, and part of me has a begrudging respect for him. Maybe this will go down as one of the best things that the band has ever done. I feel like I can get behind the sound, but the new look and name (Connie Lungpin) that Bradford has decided to adopt is a little too similar to a Chris Gaines moment for my comfort. At the very least I hope that the Connie Lungpin act was a one time piece of performance art. I'll have to wait until the album is out to come to a real conclusion. Already decided that this move is awesome? Pre-order the album here.


No comments:

Post a Comment