Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

CHARMING NOISE | GRIMES


one / two / three / four

You've probably had it up to here with people going on and on about how fantastic Grimes is (and if you haven't, then i'm sorry and you should probably get out more), but that's not going to stop me from waxing poetic about her on here for a little bit. I hate to use such a simple word, but I can't think of a better word to describe than "rad." I hate to say this, but it feels like a lot of the music that has been coming out in the past few years has sounded very similar, mostly because everybody jumped on the chillwave bandwagon. Not that I don't love the ambient mellow sounds of Wild Nothing and Washed Out, but it gets a bit monotonous. That is why I am so enamored with Ms. Claire Boucher, the tiny-multi-hued haired-elven-wonder behind Grimes, who is making electronic music so unique that I literally have a hard time taking her cd out of my car. I've heard her described as a mix of Enya, 90s R&B, and the eerie electronics of Aphex Twin, which I would say is pretty apt, even though I never thought that I would like something that has been described as Enya-like, but life is full of surprises like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment