Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

CHARMING NOISE | SXSW 2014 (A RECAP)

Another SXSW has come and gone. Over two weeks ago, I know, but I've got a lot on my mind. It's always hard to visit Austin for me. It reminds me of how much I love that place, and how much like home it feels. It hasn't help that while I was in the midst of my post-Austin blues, I found out that I didn't get a job that I had really wanted. Being unemployed and away from home has been hard, and made harder by the fact that this winter was so cold and snowy, but hopefully with spring on the horizon and, even more hopefully, new job opportunities around the corner, things will be looking up soon.

Without further ado, here's my short recap of SXSW 2014:


+ drinks at blackheart + brussel sprout salad at east side king +
+ gelato at dolce neve + pizza at homeslice +

Just a small snapshot of all the food that I ate while in Austin. 


+ 6th st. before everything began + house of vans show on wednesday +
+ south bites trailer park + more pre-crazy 6th st. +

Austin is so beautiful. Especially when it's not jam-packed full of people.


+ outdoor stage at cheer up charlies + eagulls at house of vans +
+ ema at under the radar + gems at under the radar +

We saw a lot of great stuff. So much that I frankly can't remember it all. Highlights were EMA, GEMS (who we ended up seeing twice we liked them so much. They also win the 'most attractive band' award), Eagulls, Future Islands, Connan Mockasin, Yellow Ostrich, Small Black... the list goes on. 

Of course I can't write a post about SXSW without mentioning the horrible incident that happened this year. I don't really think that it was a result of how insane the festival is getting in terms of size (although it's obvious that that's a whole other issue), but it's a tragedy and I hope that accidents like these remind everybody how ridiculously dumb it is to drink and drive.

On a lighter note, the festival was a lot of fun, but yes, so so so packed and a little out of control. I can't blame people for wanting to come though, Austin is pretty great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment